This Monday we have another CFP final between Alabama and Clemson. What would happen in a world if we used a different type of playoff system?
An 8 team Playoff (After hearing UCF proclaim that they were robbed, the committee decides to go to 8 teams).
1. Alabama vs. 8. UCF Alabama wins this one easily. 2. Clemson vs. 7. Michigan If Michigan had trouble stopping Florida’s run game Travis Etienne would have a day. Clemson wins. 3. Notre Dame vs. 6. Ohio State Notre Dame isn’t good. Ohio State wins. 4. Oklahoma vs. 5. Georgia A close one but Georgia’s defense makes one more stop than Oklahoma’s defense and Georgia wins.
1. Alabama vs. 6. Ohio State Ohio State puts up a fight but the Alabama defensive front forces Haskins to make a couple of costly mistakes late. 2. Clemson vs. 5. Georgia Clemson has more talent and Dabo is a better coach. Clemson wins. Did we end up with an Alabama vs. Clemson final? Of course we did.
A 16 team Playoff without automatic qualifiers (They decided that trying 16 teams would increase a team’s shot at a championship).
Round of 16
1. Alabama vs. 16. West Virginia Alabama wins. 2. Clemson vs. 15. Texas Close game but Clemson prevails. 3. Notre Dame vs. 14. Kentucky Notre Dame is lucky that Kentucky has Tyler Wilson as their starting QB. If they had a good QB it would be another 30-3 debacle. Instead, Kentucky lets them down gently 17-3. 4. Oklahoma vs. 13. Washington State Both teams have good offenses but Kyler is too good. Oklahoma wins. 5. Georgia vs. 12. Penn State Penn State isn’t an elite school according to their own coach. Georgia wins easily. 6. Ohio State vs. 11. LSU Ohio State wins. 7. Michigan vs. 10. Florida Florida already won. 8. UCF vs. 9. Washington Washington’s offense keeps it close because they can’t generate any offense. UCF can’t score against UW’s defense. Low scoring affair but I’ll take Washington.
1. Alabama vs. 10. Florida Feleipe Franks doesn’t scare the Alabama secondary. Alabama wins. 2. Clemson vs. 9. Washington Justyn Ross and Tee Higgins will make enough plays for Clemson to win. 3. Notre Dame vs. 6. Ohio State Ohio State will win because of one of their receivers will match up on Donte Vaughn. 4. Oklahoma vs. 5. Georgia Georgia wins.
That gives the same exact semifinals. So we do end up with Alabama v. Clemson.
A 25 Team Playoff (Why not let every ranked team play?)
Round of 24 (Alabama gets a bye)
2. Clemson vs. 25. Boise State This isn’t in Boise so Clemson will win. 3. Notre Dame vs. 24. Iowa State Iowa State is the only Big 12 team with a defense. I will take Hakeem Butler over Donte Vaughn. Iowa State wins. 4. Oklahoma vs. 23. Missouri Missouri lost to OK State so they will lose to OU. 5. Georgia vs. 22. Northwestern Northwestern will keep things close because their zone defense will confuse Jake Fromm. Clayton Thorson doesn’t have enough weapons on offense to make a dent in Georgia’s defense though. 6. Ohio State vs. 21. Fresno State Ohio State has a track record of not showing up against inferior opponents. Fresno State will put up a fight but ultimately Ohio State wins. 7. Michigan vs 20. Syracuse Michigan beat Notre Dame by 7. Notre Dame beat Syracuse by 33. Michigan wins by 40. 8. UCF vs. 19. Texas A&M UCF lost to LSU which lost to Texas A&M. A&M wins. 9. Washington vs. 18. Mississippi State Nick Fitzgerald’s legs carry Mississippi State to the victory. 10. Florida vs. 17. Utah Florida has too much talent on defense. Florida wins. 11. LSU vs. 16. West Virginia Joe Burrow has shown that if he plays an average to a below-average defense he can shred it. West Virginia doesn’t even fit into that category. Without Will Grier LSU will win handily. 12. Penn State vs. 15. Texas Texas is back. 13. Washington State vs. 14. Kentucky Kentucky hasn’t seen an air raid offense in the run oriented SEC. Washington State will win.
We have 13 teams left so we have to have the lowest seeds remaining play each other. Winner gets Bama loser gets spared from Bama.
24. Iowa State vs. 19. Texas A&M Kendrick Rogers is for real. Kellen Mond will make the throws needed to win for A&M.
Round of 12
1. Alabama vs. 19. Texas A&M Alabama already beat them. 2. Clemson vs. 18. Mississippi State Clemson wins. 4. Oklahoma vs. 15. Texas Oklahoma is the better team. OU in a shootout. 5. Georgia vs. 13. Washington State Georgia wins. 6. Ohio State vs. 11. LSU Haskins is better than Burrow. 7. Michigan vs. 10. Florida Florida already won.
Round of 6 NFL Wild Card Style.
4. Oklahoma vs. 10. Florida Feliepe Franks isn’t an accurate QB. OU wins. 5. Georgia vs. 6. Ohio State Georgia’s running back will gash an Ohio State defense that is built on nothing but a pass rush.
1. Alabama vs. 5. Georgia Alabama already beat them. 2. Clemson vs. 4. Oklahoma Clemson would beat up OU.
This one failed.
Every Conference Champion Qualifies (We don’t want the Sun Belt to be filled with rage).
Round of 10
1. Alabama vs. NR Northern Illinois University Alabama should win. 2. Clemson vs. NR UAB Clemson should win. 4. Oklahoma vs. NR Appalachian State App State has a way of upsetting higher ranked teams. But Oklahoma will win. 6. Ohio State vs. 21. Fresno State Ohio State will win. 8. UCF vs. 9. Washington Washington wins with defense.
6. Ohio State vs. 9. Washington Ohio State already won.
1. Alabama vs. 6. Ohio State Alabama wins. 2. Clemson vs. 4. Oklahoma Clemson.
I have failed.
A 48 Team Playoff with the other 23 teams being either conference champions, conference championship participants, or have 9 or wins. (FCS is included) The committee decided that more football is good for sales. So they decided to go all out. They even let FCS be included because there are good FCS teams.
1. Alabama vs. 48. Kennesaw State I don’t even know where Kennesaw State is. Alabama wins. 2. Clemson vs. 47. Marshall Clemson will only need to worry about the pass rush of Marshall’s. Clemson wins. 3. Notre Dame vs. 46. FIU Notre Dame wins. 4. Oklahoma vs. 45. North Texas OU wins. 5. Georgia vs. 44. SDSU Georgia wins. 6. Ohio State vs. 43. Weber State Mike Weber will rush for over 100 yards. OSU wins. 7. Michigan vs. 42. Troy Troy beat Nebraska by 5. Michigan beat them by 46. Michigan wins. 8. UCF vs. 41. Eastern Washington UCF wins. 9. Washington vs. 40. Utah State UW wins. 10. Florida vs. 39. Colgate Florida wins. 11. LSU vs. 38. Army Army was the best defense OU faced all season holding them to 28 points in overtime. Army’s triple-option attack will keep LSU off balance. Army wins. 12. Penn State vs. 37. Memphis Penn State wins. 13. Washington State vs. 36. NDSU WSU wins. 14. Kentucky vs. 35. NIU Kentucky wins. 15. Texas vs. 34. Louisiana Texas is back. 16. West Virginia vs. 33. Middle Tennessee No Will Grier means no victory for WVU. 17. Utah vs. 32. Pitt Utah wins. 18. Mississippi State vs. 31. App State MSU will win with Nick Fitzgerald’s legs. 19. Texas A&M vs. 30. Cincinnati A&M wins. 20. Syracuse vs. 29. NC State Syracuse already won. 21. Fresno State vs. 28. Stanford Fresno State wins. 22. Northwestern vs. 27. Oregon A tight one but since Justin Herbert is the better QB Oregon will win. 23. Missouri vs. 26. Iowa Missouri beat Purdue by 3. Iowa lost to Purdue by 2. Missouri wins 24. Iowa State vs. 25. Boise State In the GAME OF THE CENTURY Iowa State barely squeaks by a good Boise State team.
Round of 24
1. Alabama vs. 38. Army Army plays everyone close but Tua will be too much for Army. 2. Clemson vs. 33. Middle Tennesse Clemson will beat Middle Tennesse because their offense is not good and Clemson’s defense is great. 3. Notre Dame vs. 27. Oregon Notre Dame beat Stanford and Oregon lost to Stanford so Notre Dame wins. 4. Oklahoma vs. 24. Iowa State OU already beat them. 5. Georgia vs. 23. Missouri Georgia already beat them. 6. Ohio State vs. 21. Fresno State OSU wins. 7. Michigan vs. 20. Syracuse Michigan by 40. 8. UCF vs. 19. Texas A&M Kellen to Kendrick > Darriel to Davis 9. Washington vs. 18. Mississippi State This could be the Cheez-it Bowl. Both teams have great defenses but not good offenses. UW because of Myles Gaskin and Austin Bryant. 10. Florida vs. 17. Utah Florida wins. 12. Penn State vs. 15. Texas Texas is still back. 13. Washington State vs. 14. Kentucky Benny Snell will run wild. Josh Allen will get some sacks to stop WSU air attack.
Round of 12
1. Alabama vs. 19. Texas A&M Alabama already beat them. 2. Clemson vs. 15. Texas Texas is no longer back. (Moment of silence) 3. Notre Dame vs. 14. Kentucky Notre Dame is lucky that Kentucky has Tyler Wilson as their starting QB. If they had a good QB it would be another 30-3 debacle. Instead, Kentucky lets them down gently 17-3. 4. Oklahoma vs. 10. Florida Florida lost to Georgia. OU technically beat Georgia because of the transitive win property. (Georgia is the better team but that’s the property works). OU wins. 5. Georgia vs. 9. Washington Georgia wins. 6. Ohio State vs. 7. Michigan Ohio State already beat them. (bad)
NFL Wild card style
4. Oklahoma vs. 14. Kentucky OU wins. 5. Georgia vs. 6. Ohio State Georgia wins.
1. Alabama vs. 5. Georgia Alabama already beat them. 2. Clemson vs. 4. Oklahoma Clemson.
YOU KNOW WHAT.
In conclusion it isn’t possible to prevent the two best teams from playing each other.
I have one more but it is another article by itself.